TESTS AND RESULTS
Accessing GP test results
When your doctor requests tests such as x-rays or blood tests, please be sure that you know how and when to access the results. Your doctor may organise to review you with the results or ask you to telephone the surgery for them. If you are phoning for test results, or enquiring about hospital reports or results, please call the surgery (623516) after 11.00am.
- Give enough time for the results to come back. Most common blood results are available within three working days, x-ray results can take 7-10 days and other specialised tests may take longer.
- The doctors will indicate on each individual result whether it is satisfactory or not and this gives the receptionist the authority to relay this basic information to you. It is therefore important to know if you have more than one test result to ask about.
Accessing hospital reports and results
- Most out-patient clinic letters take three to four weeks to reach the GP, so please allow plenty of time.
- Results of tests requested by the hospital doctors will be returned to them first and generally they are not sent directly to us.
- Do not be afraid to ask how best to get your results while you are in the out-patient clinic, and get realistic timescales.